Not Loading Modules

I compiled a 2.2.19 kernel with module support and sound modules for my sound card selected, ran make modules and make modules_install, then copied everything in /usr/src.../arch/i386/boot to /boot. The kernel boots and all my regular programs run perfectly but dmseg contains nothing to indicate my sound card was detected and /sbin/lsmod shows nothing loaded.
less /proc/pci shows Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 (rev 2)

Any suggestions as to what is wrong? I do not currently subscribe to the list but can check the archives with Geocrawler