Re: stopping named from starting

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:02:28AM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 07:25:09AM -0500, ktb wrote:
> >
> > Take a look at the man page for update-rc.d
> > # update-rc.d -f bind remove
> > should remove the offending scripts.
>
> No no no no no.  That is the *wrong* way to do it!  If you do it that
> way, then the very next time you upgrade your bind package all the
> symlinks will be restored to their default configuration.  This is *not*
> what you want.  You want to remove the symlinks that are responsible for
> starting named, while leaving the other in place.  (for example, leave
> /etc/rc0.d/K20bind in place).  This way, when you next upgrade the bind
> package, your configuration of the symlinks will not be modified.
>
> See the documentation for update-rc.d.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I will have to take a look at the
docs again and see if giving up the difficult task of running -
# update-rc.d -f script remove
between updates coupled with the possible reboot is warranted.
I do think the "No no no.." was a bit much given the *severity* of the
situation though.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted