[Q]: Exim no longer using smarthost?

I have somehow dorked my exim config (this is NOT the result of a version
change). I am desparate to get back to being able to send out mail (by NOT
using Outlook).

Today I diddled the exim.conf and the aliases file. Somewhere my mail
stopped going out. It appears that exim is trying to connect to the
recipients directly. I reran eximconfig and took a default aliases and
exim.conf file for using a smarthost. I updated the exim.conf file to
reflect the authentication details that my smtp machine requires. Things are
still snafu'ed. I even found a copy of my exim.conf that I emailed to
someone a few weeks ago, and it also fails. That should be a known working
conf-file.

It doesn't seem to using the smarthost info.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

	hunter

Here's what I know....when I send now, the log shows (where I have editted
some names)

2001-06-12 10:53:39 159sMF-0002MK-00 <= me@domain U=hhm P=local S=1104
id=20010612105339.A9036@machine
2001-06-12 10:53:39 159sMF-0002MK-00 == him@domain T=remote_smtp defer
(-44): retry time not reached for any host

Whereas before, it was.....

2001-06-11 09:09:27 159UFr-0008F5-00 <= me@domain U=hhm P=local S=1777
id=20010611090926.A31638@machine
2001-06-11 09:09:41 159UFr-0008F5-00 => him@domain R=smarthost T=remote_smtp