Re: Samba: Problem mit check_log_size

 G> I'm not sure if the max log size parameter makes sense when using
 G> --with-syslog.  The parameter should probably be ignored if syslog
 G> support is enabled (via ./configure and smb.conf)
 >>
 >> I use precompiles packages of the Debian dietribution (and I'd like to
 >> avoid compiling my own :-) What parameters can I change in smb.conf?
 >> --with-syslog changes a default value, I guess!?

 G> Make sure 'syslog only = no' (which is the default).

This is set correctly...

 G> Of course, I could be guessing wrong about the root
 G> of the problem. :-)

 >> (Why doesn't max log size make sense? -- the files grow
 >> anyway, I think...)

 G> Samba should not be rotating files out from under
 G> the syslogd daemon.  Not our responsisbility.
 G> Make sense?

Hmm... But the only thing samba should do (as per documentation) is to
rename smb to smb.old and nmb to nmb.old for the weekly cron job (from
the samba Debian package!) to rotate them. This seems to be done by
one of the daemons (smbd, nmbd) in accordance with the "max log size"
parameter. This whole ritual seems to be done to avoid rotating open
files.

But I still have some understanding problems: If e.g. smbd/nmbd run
from inetd, they come up on request from a client. Hence, do they
never rename the logs?? What is the event triggering the deamons to
come up and rename the files?

But perhaps I totally misunderstand the whole nechanism...

Is there possibly a known bug causing smbd/nmbd to keep the files open
and thus the attempt to rename them fails?

Perhaps someone can help me to understand what could be wrong and why
the renaming fails...

Thanks a lot!

Hubert Palme         Bergische Universitaet-Gesamthochschule Wuppertal
                                      Computing  Center
                                      D-42097 Wuppertal
E-Mail: palme@uni-wuppertal.de             (Germany)
http://www.hrz.uni-wuppertal.de/hrz/personen/h_palme.html