lilo problem after kernel install: LIL-

Hello all,

I recently upgraded all packages necessary to install a 2.4.x kernel on my
Debian 2.2 laptop. After downloading, compiling, and installing the 2.4.5
kernel I rebooted and was greeted with a screen reading only "LIL-".

I have a boot floppy made when I originally installed and was able to reboot
the machine using that and re-ran lilo after editing lilo.conf to use the
older (2.2.17) kernel, but this didn't fix the problem. I would just boot off
of the floppy and be done with it but unfortunately the kernel on the floppy
does not support my pcmcia ethernet adapter. Now I am in the unenviable
position of running Win2k on an old laptop (painfully slow) so I can get a
network connection.

If anybody knows how to fix this problem I would appreciate the help. Here is
some further information about the setup if any of it is useful.

Dual Boot Windows 2000 Pro. - Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

Windows boot manager gets control first, hands it off to lilo if you choose
Linux

Linux boot device is /dev/hda2

--

Anthony Fairchild