Re: lilo problem after kernel install: LIL-

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 04:54:04PM +0000, Anthony Fairchild wrote:
| Hello all,
|
| I recently upgraded all packages necessary to install a 2.4.x kernel on my
| Debian 2.2 laptop. After downloading, compiling, and installing the 2.4.5
| kernel I rebooted and was greeted with a screen reading only "LIL-".
| If anybody knows how to fix this problem I would appreciate the help. Here is
| some further information about the setup if any of it is useful.
|
| Dual Boot Windows 2000 Pro. - Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

I would highly recommend grub.  I first tried it on a test machine at
work that has Win2k and I was asked to install RH6.2 as dual-boot on
it.

I tried with lilo first, because it is default.  The docs on
linuxdoc.org indicate that chainloading windows from lilo is a bit
complicated, in addition to the fact that RH was above the 1024
cylinder limit.

I then tried grub, just for a change.  It is ridiculously simple to
chainload any other boot loader (including itself ;-)) and has no 1024
cylinder limit.  (I have since heard that the 'lba32' option to lilo
also removes this restriction)  After that experience I tried grub at
home (loadlin run from autoexec.bat even though Win98 was rarely
booted anymore) and it worked great.  Previosly lilo couldn't boot
linux from /dev/hdc.

HTH,
-D