Re: Slow server due to reverse lookup

On Monday 11 June 2001 05:38, Patrick Colbeck wrote:

> I am assuming that the server is doing a reverse lookup on all
> incoming tcp conections. Since the test lab has no DNS and the
> machines can have an ip address in a range that covers several
> thousand addresses (its a claa B network) I really don't want to type
> all the ip addresses into the hosts file with dummy names. Is there
> anyway to turn of the reverse lookup and make life easier as this is a
> secure network not connected to the Internet ?

You probably want to take dns out of /etc/host.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf.
Both have good man pages that will explain what you need to do.  You might
also want to set up NIS.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.