Re: debian on a 486

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Robert Ruzbacky wrote:
> > Hi.  I want to put debian on a 486 that I recently got from my school.
> > > for the boot disk, or find an older debian boot disk and hope it works
> > with the machine and still works with the debian installation process.
>
> You could try using an old version of debian like debian 1.3 (Bo).  I think
> you can get it in the archives....it should work fine for a 486.  Mine came

I'd suggest ver2.0 (get it from archive.debian.org) for any
floppy based intallation on a resource limited box.

There is a low mem install (4Meg or better), the boot floppy uses the
slow-safe-and-stupid driver (it was the only one that would work on
the 486 I installed a couple of weeks ago), there are static
versions of apt-get and dpkg available for it (easy upgrade path), and
it doesn't need much HD space for the base system.

- Bruce