Re: debian on a 486

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Gerginski" <mattgerg@users.sourceforge.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 11:30 AM
Subject: debian on a 486

> Hi.  I want to put debian on a 486 that I recently got from my school.
> > for the boot disk, or find an older debian boot disk and hope it works
> with the machine and still works with the debian installation process.

You could try using an old version of debian like debian 1.3 (Bo).  I think
you can get it in the archives....it should work fine for a 486.  Mine came
with a rescue disk which I booted from and then it installed the rest via
the CD.  Then you should be able to upgrade your system to the latest debian
and build the kernel that you want.

It's strange that you can't install the latest debian...have you tried just
booting from the CD (assuming you have a bootable distribution off a CD).?
Don't know if your 486 BIOS can support it.

Rob..