Re: lilo 'Block move error 0xAE'

/ ktb <ktb@nixnotes.org> was heard to say:
| On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 12:03:02PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
| > Can anyone help me get past this error? Google search didn't turn
| > up anything useful. Lilo can boot my Win98 partition and I can boot
| > the relevant kernel off a floppy, but attempting to boot Linux from
| > the hard disk produces 'Block move error 0xAE'.
| >

| I don't know what the error message means but...
| When you run -
| # /sbin/lilo
| are there any errors?

Nope.

zeus:~# /sbin/lilo
Added Linux (alias 1) *
Added Win98 (alias 2)

My /etc/lilo.conf is:

# Specifies the boot device.  This is where Lilo installs its boot
# block.  It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
# case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
#
boot=/dev/hda

# Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
#
root=/dev/hda5

# Installs the specified file as the new boot sector
#
install=/boot/boot.b

# Specifies the location of the map file
#
map=/boot/map

#delay=20

message=/boot/bootmess.txt