Re: Upgrade Path From Potato :-(

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 04:25:56PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> I'm not sure if I've screwed up here, but I decided to upgrade from
> potato to woody last night, but now I can't seem to get X
> reconfigured.  Looking at dselect, it looks as if I have packages from
> both 3.3 and 4.0 versions of X installed. This can't be good, right?
> I'm not sure what exactly happened. All I did was change the potato
> references in my sources.lst file to woody and ran apt-get update;
> apt-get dist-upgrade. I had to repeat this process a couple times with
> an apt-get -f install thrown in every once is a while to get all the
> dependencies worked out, but now I'm left scratching my head.

>From my experience of upgrading from Potato, I've found it's best to do a
couple of 'apt-get install [foo]' before doing the whole 'dist-upgrade.' The
first foo I install is 'dpkg' (fewer segfaults later on that way), then 'apt'.
Upgrading these two packages will also force a 'libc6' upgrade. Then you want
to make sure 'perl5.6' is installed. After that, I usually go for the full
upgrade.

> Can I fix this by unintalling all X related packages and then just
> choosing a version and stick with it?
>
> Or am I better off just reinstalling from scratch and then upgrading
> to sid or just plain waiting until something more stable solidifies?

If X4 runs, I wouldn't reinstall. If it doesn't run, try
	# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
	and
	# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

If that doesn't work... maybe you should reinstall. Some X problems require
arcane knowledge. But if you do a Potato reinstall, don't install X, wait
until after you upgrade to wood/sid to install X4. That'll make things easier.

> Here's a question. What's the better release to move to, woody or sid?

depends on how much excitment you want in your debian experience:)

--
Jeremiah