Re: CD Paranoia problem

Vincent Foley <gnuvince@yahoo.ca> writes:
VF> See, I cannot rip a CD if I'm not root.  I could when my cdrom
VF> wasn't ide-scsi.  Now, I get the following error message:
VF> More information about /dev/cdrom:
VF> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
VF>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
VF>                 /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
VF>         Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
VF>                 No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device
VF>                 /dev/scd0

This last message is your problem.

VF> $ groups
VF> vince cdrom sudo audio dip log www
VF> $ ls -l /dev/cdrom /dev/scd0
VF> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom           4 Jun  6 13:20 /dev/cdrom -> scd0
VF> brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Jun  1 15:34 /dev/scd0

There are two parts to the SCSI CD-ROM driver.  The SCSI ROM driver
(sr_mod) is enough to read CDs, and provides the /dev/sr0 (/dev/scd0)
device.  However, you also need the SCSI Generic driver (sg) to do
things like CD burning and CDDA.  Make sure you have the sg module
loaded, and check the permissions on /dev/sg0 or /dev/sga; they're
most likely root/disk 0660, which you can safely change to root/cdrom.

	-- Abra Mitchell