Re: [OT] windows networking issue

What's the full networking setup on the windows machine? Make sure, in
particular, that the netmask and gateway are appropriately set.

I'd get rid of dhcp, which is unnecessary on a small home network.

What, if any, other protocols and adapters are set up in the windows
machine's network gizmo?

My setup is very similar (1 debian P200 doing ipmasq, 2 debian laptops not
doing much at all, 1 debian Sparc doing even less, and 1 lonely Win98 box
that my wife uses), and I've got no problems. IP is 192.168.0.x for my
home network; is 10.x.x.x also a private reserved number?

Finally, the netbios-ns sessions in your tcpdump are suspicious; if I
remember right, these are WINS queries or Windows networking name service
broadcasts sent to the network. If they're broadcasts there's not much you
can do with them, but you should make sure WINS isn't the first way the
Windows machine is trying to resolve names. Is it remotely possible that
gow has been named the same thing as one of the other boxes, *either* in
dns *or* in the Windows naming scheme? (like, for example, you're running
samba and the netbios name there is set to GOW)?  A Windows machine will
go crazy in that situation, since it's obviously impossible to do serious
computing if you can't get yourself a netbios name :)....

ap

   Andrew J. Perrin - Assistant Professor of Sociology
        University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
269 Hamilton Hall CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
   andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin