Re: [OT] windows networking issue

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 07:37:07PM -0400, Rob Mahurin wrote:
| Hello,
|
| Sorry for the non-linux question, but I haven't found an answer
| elsewhere.
|
| I have a functioning network of two Debian boxes, bravo (10.0.0.2) and

Two Debian boxes ...  sounds like linux to me <wink>

| I am trying to add to this network my fiancee's Win98 machine, named

Ooh, time for some "fun" ;-).

| Any advice, FMs to R, diagnostics to run, programs to install,
| etc. are more than welcome.  I have been tooling around with this for
| weeks and I just want it to work.  Thank you for any help.

I have here a network with 2 Potato boxen, 1 Win98 and 1 Win95
working.  I setup one Debian box with ipmasq.  All NICs are statically
configured (no DHCP).  On the 'doze box I set one of the Debian boxes
as the default gateway.  I set a static IP and no WINS.  I have a
D-Link switch physically connecting the boxes.

Can the 'doze box ping itself?  By localhost or 127.0.0.1?  By it's
external IP address?

The biggest issue I had, once I had ipmasq installed, was the 'doze
boxes not cooperating with Samba.

If you want more specifics on how I configured the doze systems I can
turn one on tomorrow and see what it says.  On the Debian systems I
use /etc/hosts to set names for the machines.

-D