Re: XFree86 cannot initialize NVdriver

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Steven Isaacson wrote:

> That still didn't fix the problem.
>
> If I copy NVdriver to NVdriver.o and insmod NVdriver.o the module will
> be loaded, but XFree still won't start.
>
> I still cannot get debian to find the module.

I forgot, are you using the Debian package or the tarballs from
ftp2.detonator.nvidia.com?  I use the tarballs and don't have a
problem.  Untar/gzip NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-1251 and run make.  Untar/gzip
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-1251 and run make.  Run ldconfig.  Run xf86config and
choose everything as your normally would, including the apropriate video
card.  Save the changes and then edit XF86Config-4.  Look in the module
section and make sure 'glx' is being loaded.  Also comment out 'GLcore'
and 'dri'.  Go to the Device section and comment out Driver "nv" and
replace it with Driver "nvidia".  Save the changes and startx.  you should
be in business.