Problems with glibc and name service switch in potato?

Hello folks,

I am struggling with getting nisplus to work on Debian.  I installed the
(unofficial) nisplus packages from http://www.realbodo.de/ and set
everything up correctly.  I've already set up nisplus successfully on
RedHat, so at least I know what I'm doing and that I can get it right.

Here's the problem though:

When I set up /etc/nsswitch.conf as following:

	passwd: compat
	group:  compat
	passwd_compat: nisplus
	group_compat:  nisplus

programs like login and ssh will segfault.  This happens _after_ the
login is successful as shown by this output of ssh:

---snip---
01:19 root@bart:~ # ssh homer
root@homer's password:
Last login: Thu Jun  7 01:15:37 2001 from bart on pts/2
Linux homer 2.2.17 #1 Mon Feb 12 01:28:45 CET 2001 i486 unknown

        Have a lot of fun.

Could not set unix.viktor-isdn@mbi.de's secret key,
maybe the keyserver is down?
Received disconnect: Command terminated on signal 11.
---snip---

(BTW, the keyserver is not down, dunno what this is all about.  It
doesn't happen on another machine though, maybe this has something to do
this machine acting as a masq router over ISDN.  Doesn't have anything
to do with the problem at hand, though.)

login also segfaults on me.

Everything else e.g. the pam module (libpam_unix2.so) is working.

This is a up-to-date potato system (well, too actually).

Any idea what might be going on?

TIA,
Viktor
--