Re: Starting X/Gnome

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 02:04:27PM +0200, HawkY wrote:
> Where can I define what I want to launch at startup? (I don't want X to be
> started at startup.)

Your default runlevel is specified in /etc/inittab (it's probably 2),
and the programs that are launched for each runlevel are specified in
its rc directory (that is, all the programs that launch at runlevel two
are specified in /etc/rc2.d, and all the ones for runlevel five are
specified in /etc/rc5.d, etc.). If there's something in there that you
don't want to run, just remove it. There's a proper Debian way of doing
this, but, er, I don't know it :). In your case you probably want to
remove S99gdm or S99xdm from /etc/rc2.d.

> I've installed Gnome, but I want to launch it. (I might be wrong. I don't
> really know much about X.)

Edit .xsession (in your home directory), so that it contains

	exec gnome-session

Then type "startx" and hit enter.

> When X is started, I get a login prompt. (Big white window with large black
> letters.) If I enter the data, it launches WMaker. Is it Gnome?

Nope. Gnome is a desktop environment -- like MS Windows, with a file
manager and help system and method of launching programs and a window
manager and blah blah blah :) -- whereas WindowMaker is just (just, he says! :)
a window manager.

> (I'd like to install Ximian Gnome but when I try to launch Red Carpet I get
> a message:
> "GTK error: Error opening display" or something.) Is it beaceuse X is still
> running? (When I press ctrl+alt+f7.)

Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file so that it contains

	deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main

and then run

	apt-get update
	apt-get install task-ximian-gnome

...although it sounds like you've got Ximian Gnome installed already, if
you've got Red Carpet on your system. It sounds like you're getting that
GTK error because you're trying to run Red Carpet from a console --
you'll need to run it from a virtual terminal like xterm or rxvt while
you're in X.

Cheers!

Andrew Sione Taumoefolau
tonga@pipeline.com.au