Starting X/Gnome

Hi!

Where can I define what I want to launch at startup? (I don't want X to be started at startup.)

I've installed Gnome, but I want to launch it. (I might be wrong. I don't really know much about X.) When X is started, I get a login prompt. (Big white window with large black letters.) If I enter the data, it launches WMaker. Is it Gnome? (I'd like to install Ximian Gnome but when I try to launch Red Carpet I get a message: "GTK error: Error opening display" or something.) Is it beaceuse X is still running? (When I press ctrl+alt+f7.)

Thanx!

HawkY