tabs / was [OT] Coding w/ vim

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 06:17:46PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
> set sts=2 sw=2 ts=8 et

> This always inserts spaces (the 'et') so it will be correct regardless
> of what tool you use to view it.  It also keeps tabs following Th
> Right Way (tm) -- 8 spaces.  By setting 'sts' and 'sw' you get the

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/taoup/chapter1.html sez

	'distrust all claims for One True Way'

> appropriate indent, dedent, and backspace-over-tab behavior without
> messing with the actual tabstop.
>
> Not really asked for, but IMO a 2 space indent it too small.  I prefer
> a 4-space indent, but do what you want with your own code :-).

i prefer 4-width indent as well. if i could figure out how to get
terminfo/termcap to hard-wire that (overriding the ridiculously
arcane and overdone 8-width tabs in ALL display routines) i'd be
a much happer camper. (ideas still welcome.)

<proselytizing>
one tab, indent one level. done. (why clutter up your source
code with all those spaces?) and if you really go overboard
overindendinting a really deep algorithm, you can always
redefine tabs to be 3-wide, or 2-wide. don't have to revisit all
those extraneous spaces.

but eight is for 1969-era wonks. eesh.
</proselytizing>

fortunately, with the laissez-faire environment of linux,
you can make yours work however you like it to. :)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #19 from Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org>
: