Re: small school: replacements for MS Word and Excel

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Sean Morgan wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 09:07:43PM -0700, Forrest English wrote:
> > you could tell the people that this is a more advanced OS, and to NOT hit
> > the power switch.
> >
> > i mean, it's just a thought.
>
> And after this you would have to proceed to teach a class in operating consoles,
> top, killall, and all that good stuff.  Truth be told if it wasn't my machine
> and I had relatively little computer experience, I wouldn't even bother
> listening to such stuff.  Adding a journalling fs is a much nicer alternative.

why would you need to teach them that?  gtop or ktop would probably
suffice.  somthing along the lines of... if it doesn't do anything after a
minute...   kick this thing, click this thing, and press the kill button.

perhaps written somewhere beside the machine?

i've heard far to many horror stories about reiser from people i know, i
would be extremly wary of relying on it.  loss of all data on reiser seems
to be the end result i hear.

--
Forrest English
http://truffula.net