Re. Total Confusion

John Hasler wrote;

This, however, is proof that you have both the kernel ppp driver and the
pppd daemon installed and working. I'd guess from what you have posted
that you have been configuring for CHAT authentication and your ISP wants
you to use PAP. Does the line of meaningless symbols include lots of '{'
or '}' characters?
Post the contents of /etc/chatscripts/provider, /etc/ppp/peers/provider,
and the output of the 'plog' command immediately after trying 'pon'.

My ISP administrator told me that our system uses PAP.
I just went back to pppconfig and verified that it is set to PAP.

The line of meaningless symbols is:
[1c]@[1c][1c]`[1c]`[1c][G]`