Re: How do I pass init= to the kernel?

> hi ya margarete
>
> when you get linux up and running... run lilo to that
> you can use lilo instead of loadlin...
>
> to get loadlin to work...
> - make sure that your root.bin is in the right path

root.bin is directly in c:\

> loadlin assumes that you have a properly configured linux
> installed at root ( /dev/hda2 in your case )

How come then that in the installation guide
http://www.debian.org/releases/2.2/i386/install
(I think section 6.3.1)
it says that I can install debian by booting first of all with
loadlin?
I tried using a one-floppy linux destribution to fdisk the linux
partition, but fdisk wasn'tavailable on that destribution.

> if you have not installed linux yet ( into /dev/hda2 ) or any
> other root partition... loadlin will not be able tofind
> your kernel and root filesystem

Isn't that what the initrd=root.bin command is for?

> if you did install linux into /dev/hda2,
> put /  into /dev/hda1 instead ...  you might be running into
> a max 1024 cylinder problem

No - I only have 877 cylinders on the harddrive.
It's an old laptop, 486, 20MB of RAM, 810 MB HD and still running
DOS/win3.1.

> - why did oyu put / for linux into /dev/hda2 ???

I wanted to conserve my DOS files.

> - unless Windows is in /dev/hda1
> but if dos... it doesnt care that its hda1 or hda15
> but, MS windows does want to be /dev/hda1 so keep
> its partition say at 1Gb or less for Windows
>

> getting back to loadlin...
> make sure your dos binaries is in the right directory, for example:
> \dos\loadlin.exe
> \dps\root.bin
> \dos\loadling.exe
> ... specify the path in the loadlin command line

Everything is on c:\ - nothing is in folders.

If you wonder why I don't use a rescue disk to boot:
I get a message that the disk is not bootable.
I tried redownloading the rescue disk files, tried more than 5
different floppies, same message.
When I tried the compact version, linux booted fin, but stopped at the
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:02
Seems somewhat weird - I don't know what to do anymore.