Re. Total Confusion

More answers.

For Eamon Roque
The last line of /etc/ppp/pap-secrets does in fact have username*password, both of which are correct.

For Steve Kowalik
	file /boot/vmlinuz<tab> gave me:
	vmlinuz 	vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17

As I comparison, I did the same thing on my Redhat partition and got;
	vmlinuz		vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0		vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17

The last one was added by me in order to make lilo boot the correct Debian kernel, as I described in a previous posting.

Now a question from me. Is there anything between BIOS and an operating system? How can the same difficulty appear in all versions of linux but not Windows or Beos?