Re: logcheck gaps in time

Although hackers are still not ruled out, I may have found the problem.  There were some things added, by me, to the .ignore config file.  This has, most likely, resulted in some runs of logcheck.sh not finding anything to report.  Looking at the logcheck.sh script in more detail, it looks as if it does not send an email if nothing to report is found.  I have added the following else statement to the script so there is always a report.  I would appreciate it if the utility's owner would consider adding this to his/her next revision and giving a small credit if they do.

# If there are results, mail them to sysadmin

if [ "$ATTACK" -eq 1 ]; then
        cat $TMPDIR/checkreport.$$ | $MAIL -s "$HOSTNAME $DATE ACTIVE SYSTEM ATTACK!" $SYSADMIN
elif [ "$FOUND" -eq 1 ]; then
        cat $TMPDIR/checkreport.$$ | $MAIL -s "$HOSTNAME $DATE system check" $SYSADMIN
else
        echo "No Reported problems" |  $MAIL -s "$HOSTNAME $DATE system check" $SYSADMIN
fi

Thank you.

Alvin Oga wrote:

hi ya jiji

> - rebooted which should take care of cron / syslogd / logcheck.sh not running
> - apt-get --reinstall install logcheck just in case
> - hacker? that is my fear.  How can I find evidence that the @#$@ is in there?

-- what changed since the last time logcheck was working...
        - maybe something broke or something got installed differently/wrong ???

otherwise... look for directories/files you dont recognize...

simple/silly/stupid/fast test is:

     find / -mtime -4 -ls | grep -v /proc

        - changes in the last 4 days....

you should be able to recognize all files/directories listed ...

if you have a deb db or tripwire running, that would make it easier
to check ... i donno the deb-way...

if its NOT a hacker and you didn't find any unknown/modified files...
        - you could have a really good hacker/cracker in there..

        - you could have found a bug in logcheck or something ???

- if you dont mind.. you can post the list of "unknown files"...maybe
  someone will recognize ti as being the culprit of your logcheck
  symptoms

c ya
alvin