Re: 486 router is very slow

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 05:01:55PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
| Hi all
|
| I set up a router with my old 486 computer. I have there potato witch kernel
| 2.4 installed.
|
| Normally i have have rates of 7.8 kb/s (ISDN) throughput. But if i try it
| over my new router the rate is not more than 2 kb/s. Is it possible that the
| Masquerading process takes too much recources on that machine? It's a 33 Mhz
| Intel DX Processor.

I have an Intel 486 SX 25 MHz with only 8MB RAM serving as an ipmasq
router.  It only serves a dial-up connection right now, but at peak
times I've seen 3-4 KB/s throughput.

| Any hints to speed that up?

Are you running any unnecessary services?  Do you have enough RAM/Swap
(I have 32MB swap, but I think that's a bit of overkill at the
moment).  Maybe try running 'top' for a while and see what is using
the most resources (CPU, Memory) while you try and surf the net.

-D