Re: equivs package usage

joney@clara.co.uk wrote:
>At the beginning of May, Colin Watson kindly gave me the following
>advice to solve a problem I then had.  I changed my whole approach to
>an email setup and did not use his advice. Now, having again 'changed
>direction', I need to change 'postfix' for 'nullmailer'. ( I had installed
>nullmail after compiling from a tarball, was having problems, and
>discovered Adam McKenna had produced a .deb)
>
>--------
>
>> (1) Make a dummy qmail package with equivs, and have it provide
>>     mail-transport-agent;
>>
>> (2) dpkg --install qmail.deb
>>
>> (3) Watch dpkg automatically remove ssmtp in favour of qmail.
>
>--------
>
>I've had a couple of fruitless attempts. Can't seem to create a
>dummy nullmailer package - there doesn't seem to be a suitable
>example to put into ns-control.

If you run equivs-control, it'll create a template control file for you.
The equivs-build man page explains the extra fields that aren't seen in
normal Debian packages.

>Then again, if I do get a dummy package what do I do with it (I presume
>(2) refers to the main .deb and not the dummy).

At the time, I think I meant the dummy package. If you have Adam's
proper package, though, you don't need an equivs dummy; since nullmailer
does provide mail-transport-agent, can't you just apt-get install it (or
dpkg -i, or whatever)? That should have pretty much the same effect, I
think.

Cheers,