fetchmail, procmail, and bad mbox formats

I just recently got fetchmail and procmail working together with ssmtp
to bring my pop email to my machine and throw it into an mbox.  The
problem I'm having, though, is that with MUAs like Mutt and Pine are
saying that the format of the mbox the procmail is dumping to is bad.
Is there something that has to be set with procmail to make this look
like a normal mbox?  If not, are there any ideas as to what may be
wrong?  (if I 'less' the mbox file, all the emails are in there, but I
don't really want to read them that way)

TIA,
Jeremy