Low Memory Install?

I have a friend who's interested in getting my help to install Linux
for the first time... but his spare machine only has 4MB of RAM.  The
last time I tried to install Linux on a machine with that little RAM
was in 1996 or 1997 when I was using RedHat 4.2.  RedHat's installer
wouldn't even run properly on a machine with that little RAM, and I
ended up falling back on an older "low memory" version of Slackware.

My question is: can I successfully complete a minimal Debian install
with only 4MB of RAM, or is this a losing proposition that's just going
to frustrate me?

Thanks for the information.

KEN

--