Re: differences Debian and Corel?

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 06:53:26PM -0700, Herman Christiani wrote:
> Hi All,
> This is my first posting in this group,
> I'm using at the moment a dualboot machine, NT4 and Corel Linux 1.2
> since there is no further development regarding Corel Linux I'm
> contemplating to change to Debian (potato).
> Corel did not need anything to install NT in the boatloader (LILO?)
> and I can without any problem access the NTFS filesystem with the Corel
> File Manager, can Debian do the same?

Short answer - yes.
Real  answer - yes, if you are willing to learn.

I've never personally used Corel, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess
that Corel did its best to hide the complexities of Linux from the user.

Debian is a powerful system, and as such requires more knowledge
about how and why things work. In other words, you can probably install
debian off of an official CD, no problem, but you may have to recompile
your kernel to enable reading the NTFS volume.

Although it only takes me a few minutes to reconfigure a kernel, it takes a
lot longer to learn and understand the kernel compilation process.

But it's SO worth it..........

--
Jonathan Freiermuth
jon@gnatfart.com