Re: xscreensaver

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 01:27:08AM +0200, Jeroen Valcke wrote:

> I want to invoke the xscreensaver(daemon) automatically after I
> logged in.  I added this line to my .xinitrc file
> 	# Start xscreensaver daemon
> 	xscreensaver &
> However it doesn't work. What's wrong. Adding to the .xinitrc
> file is correct isn't?

Hi,

Since you want xscreensaver to start automatically after logging
in, I am assuming that you are "logging into X", i.e., using a
display manager like xdm or wdm. If that is the case, I suggest
you put the above lines in $HOME/.xsession. From the startx(1x)
manpage:

  "X sessions started from xdm will  completely disregard the
  .xinitrc file."

I use wdm, and here is my .xsession file:

	#!/bin/sh

	ssh-add < /dev/null
	export XAPPLRESDIR=$HOME/.Xapplres
	xsetroot -mod 4 4 -bg rgb:6/8/8 -fg rgb:78/a/a
	xclock -digital -bg Gray85 -fg Black -geometry -0+0 &
	xscreensaver -no-splash &
	rxvt --title "Login Shell" --loginShell --geometry -17+38 &
	exec flwm

The permissions for my .xsession are 700. As you see, I too start
xscreensaver at login, and it works fine for me.

AFAIK, this should work even if you use startx to initiate an X
session. Again from the startx(1x) manpage:

  Note that in the Debian GNU/Linux system, what many people
  traditionally put in the .xinitrc file should go in .xsession
  instead; the idea is that the  user's X  environment should
  look and act the same whether startx, xdm, or xinit is used to
  start the X session.

I think the reason for this becomes clear if we look at
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc:

  # by default simply do the same thing as xdm X sessions
  . /etc/X11/Xsession

Best,
Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra                    | GnuPG signed/encrypted mail
raghu@mri.ernet.in                | welcome.  Key ID: 03618806.