Re: I need a windows-linux solution

hi Brian

on your Linux box... amke sure you have samba configured properly...

- think you're making things more difficult than it is..

- make sure that the firewall does notprevent you from
  getting to the "samba ports"

linux# cat /etc/exports
	- export /home/brian you want the client_win_box to read/wrie

linux# cat /etc/smb.conf
	- make sure /home/brian is listed

windows side...
	network make the drive,  linux:/home/biran to V: or whatever

===
=== what do you mean ... samba is apparently blocked at the cable co ???
===	that's NOT reasonable...
===
===	easy test is to have a windowPC on the same lan as the linux box
===	and see if it works locally on the same wire... than going
===	across the internet on 2 DSL lines is matter of firewalls and
===	security *you* allow or disallow access to *your* machines
===

- always use ip#  .. not  host.domain_name.com
	- if you have dynamic ip# on your dsl.... hummm ... more fun
	times..

you can also install ssh on your windows PC...
	- use ssh to log into your linux box and do your magic

	- use scp to copy fils from linux to windows or vice versa

- when copying files from linux to windows filesystems...
	its a good idea to backup your windows box due to
	some old incompatibilities between window and unix
	time stamps and file permissions

	- samba-2.0.7 or better should be okay w/ linux-2.2.16 or better

and for more fun... you can use (secure)VNC to do your magic too
from linux to windows or vice versa

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net .... 500Gb 1U Raid5 ....