Re: xscreensaver

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 07:53:12PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 06:28:58PM -0500, ktb wrote:
> :Try -
> :exec xscreensaver &
> :kent
>
> NO DON"T DO IT!
>
> This will stop processing the file and make the screensaver the last
> thing that executes (ie no window manager) and if you close the
> screensaver you Xwindows session will exit.
>
> Only "exec" a windowmanager, unless you really want to do some thing
> odd.
>
> Sorry to shout, but I saw someone "exec xsetroot" which ofcourse
> promptly closed the Xsession after changing the background color, and
> they had a hell of a time figuring out "why X was crashing"

Every .xinitrc I have put together has exec lines for each line in the
file.  If I understand it correctly all exec does is execute the
program.  The tricky part is when back-grounding programs with "&" there
has to be one, usually the window manager, which *isn't* back-grounded.  I
have one .xinitrc for a kiosk which has everything back-grounded except
Netscape.

> :On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 01:27:08AM +0200, Jeroen Valcke wrote:
>
> :> 	xscreensaver &
> :> However it doesn't work. What's wrong. Adding to the .xinitrc file is
> :> correct isn't?
>
> For some reason I've been unable to fathom if you start X from the
> console with "startx" it looks at one config file if you're using xdm
> (or gdm, wdm, what ever) to get a graphic login it looks at a
> different one.
>
> These two files are .xinitrc and .xsession, I've symlinked mine
> (ln -s .xinitrc .xsession) and forgotten which method uses which file.

This is a valid point.  We have no idea how he is starting X.  He
might have better luck with .xsession.  I was just assuming he was
starting from the command line.  Not a good assumption.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted