Re: Re. Total Confusion

Sidney Brooks wrote:

Here are answers to some of the questions that helpful people have posed.

About two hours ago, I installed Debian anew. It was during this installation that I added the modules parport, etc. . The message at the time of installation was "installation successful".

So does that mean your printer is working now?

If not, does the echo test work from DOS (not DOS in Windows, but plain DOS)? If it doesn't, I'd have to ask the obvious question, is it a Win-Printer? (Probably not since you say below that you've used earlier versions of Debian and therefore would know about this issue.)

I have successfully installed and used earlier versions of Debian and am familiar with pppconfig.

I know that I am connected because the log says so. I also have an external, U.S. Robotics, 56K modem, which lights up and used to work with any version of linux that I tried, not only Debian and Redhat, but Mandrake, and others.

I'd try another modem, just to test. It may be that a lightning strike or something may have damaged the modem so that it doesn't work properly for ppp although it connects fine. Sure it's rare, but it's worth trying.

Did your ISP rep use your modem or his to dial out with his Redhat?

I have the2.2.r3 version of Debian. The full kernel description is 2.0.38-2.0.38-3.

Even though there has been no break through yet, I appreciate all suggestions.