Re: Customizing the console key map?

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Paul D. Smith wrote:
>   >> console-tools (or kbd, I don't care much which one) my customizations
>   >> are kept automatically without my having to go back in and fix them up.
>
> There must be some reason why upgrading these packages keeps installing
> new versions of the keymap files.

The reason is simple: These packages are buggy; they should never overwrite
user-customized data with their own without asking. That said, the console-*
packages in unstable allow you to tell them NOT to touch the keyboard maps
anymore on upgrade.

> This is what I want to do with the console key map: have my own file
> with _only_ the changes, not the entire keymap.

Request this feature to be added using a wishlist bug and filling it through
the Debian BTS.  Do notice that the keyboard map would need to be reset
when an user logs out; otherwise, we'd have a security hazard.

  Henrique Holschuh