Re: Re. Total Confusion

Sidney,

Sorry this has been such a pain for you. I think, though, that you need to
systematize your attempts to get it working. Going back to square one was
a reasonable idea. But it would help to have the actual output of the
commands and logs you refer to, rather than just your memory of them. For
example, can you post the answers to these:

 Re: your PPP connection:
- You say you know you're connected "because the log says so."  Which
log? What does it say?
- Once connected, what is the output of:
	ifconfig -a   : what network interfaces are connected
	route -n      : how your computer expects to send packets out
	nslookup www.debian.org
                      : can your computer resolve a domain name?
	ping 198.186.203.20
                      : can you reach www.debian.org?
- Recognize that minicom is in no way related to PPP, except that they
both (sometimes) use serial ports. My guess, from what you've said, is
that you're able to establish a modem connection but not a PPP link, which
suggests that you need to change the authentication process: pap, chap,
chat, etc.  pppconfig will certainly be your friend if that's the case.

Re: your printer: I know less about this than about PPP, but:
- Do you have anything in /proc/parport? Mine (which works fine) has:
nujoma:/proc/parport> ls -lR
.:
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Jun  2 09:47 0

./0:
total 0
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun  2 09:47 autoprobe
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun  2 09:47 devices
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun  2 09:47 hardware
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jun  2 09:47 irq
- What's the output of cat /proc/ioports?

Re: your kernel: I know even less about this. But I do know that I'm
running 2.2r0 (haven't had a chance to upgrade) and my kernel is 2.2.17:

nujoma:/proc> uname -a
Linux nujoma 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

so I'm wondering if there's something fishy with your kernel. But others
on the list will know far more than I do about that.

Good luck-
Andy Perrin

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
    Asst Professor of Sociology, U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA