Re: what is portmap?

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 01:59:40AM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> i spoze i should've been more clear--
>
> 	is there a debian-friendly way to permanently disable
> 	a startup (/etc/init.d/*) service so's some future
> 	"apt-get dist-upgrade" doesn't resurrect it from the grave?
>
> if so, how?
>
> if not, maybe we should have an "update-rc.d disable <xyz>"
> feature? (until which time we'll "mv" or "rm" by hand any such
> links in /etc/rc?.d/*, i suppose.)

For "service" foo, you basically have 3 options:

1) Remove whatever package provides that "service"
2) Edit the "service's" /etc/init.d/ script, adding "exit 0" at the top.
3) Play with symlinks:
   a) update-rc.d -f remove foo
   b) (cd /etc/rc2.d ; ln -s ../init.d/foo K99foo)

   Or some variation.

All three of these work provided:
  case 1:  another package doesn't cause the reinstall of whatever
           the offending "service" is.
  case 2:  You answer "Yes" when an upgrade asks you if the
  	   configuration script /etc/init.d/foo should be
	   updated with the maintainer's version.
  case 3:  You leave at least one kill link "KNN<package>" in
  	   one of the /etc/rc?.d/ directories.

As far as I know, those are all "debian-friendly".  If you want
something purporting to be user friendly, maybe you'd like a big GUI to
edit your SYSV init script links? KDE provides such a thing, forget what
it's called...  The thing to remember about the SYSV init script links,
is you *must* retain at least one for whatever changes you make or
upgrade scripts will reset the links to the defaults.  That's just how
it works.  All of the "update-<foo>" scripts were designed to be
callable by package scripts first, and by administrators secondarily (at
least as far as I can tell...).  If you really want an "update-rc.d
--disable foo", file a wishlist bug...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>