Re: what is portmap?

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 01:32:28PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 08:11:25PM +0600, V.Suresh wrote:
> >     What is the portmap process meant for? Shall I safely
> > 	 update-rc.d remove it?
>
> If you're not using NFS or NIS then you can safely remove it.  Those are
> the 2 main services that need it.
>
> Don't use update-rc.d remove, though.  If you ever upgrade your system
> it will restore all the symlinks to the default configuration.  Instead
> just remove the 'S' symlinks (the ones that start portmap) by hand.
> Leave the 'K' symlinks.  If you leave some symlinks in place then
> your configuration won't be overwritten when you upgrade.

well! this brings up an interesting point --

is there a DEBIAN-happy way to permanently remove an
/etc/init.d/* service? this wholesale 'rm' stuff sounds hacky
for such a streamlined apt-friendly distribution. what's the
debian way of purging-inits-for-posterity?

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #12 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: