Re: lilo & fstab

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:16:10PM -0500, burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com wrote:
> All,

[snip]

> When I attempt to install lilo on my system now, I get the following
> error:

[snip]

> WARNING!
> Your /etc/fstab configuration file gives device /dev/hda3 as the root
> filesystem device. This doesn't look to me like an "ordinary" block
> device. Either your fstab is broken and you should fix it, or you are
> using hardware (such as a RAID array) which this simple configuration
> program does not handle.

[snip]

> My question is, what is wrong with the following /etc/fstab file? I
> ==haven't touched it==, ever. Why is lilo suddenly complaining, and what
> in the following setup implies that /dev/hda3 is -not- a valid block
> device? Or is that determination coming from elsewhere?
>

> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> /dev/hda3	/		ext2	defaults,errors=remount-ro	0	1
> /dev/hda2	none		swap	sw			0	0
> proc		/proc		proc	defaults			0	0
> /dev/fd0	/floppy		auto	defaults,user,noauto		0	0
> /dev/cdrom	/cdrom		iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0	0
> /dev/cdrom2	/cdrom2		iso9660 defaults,rw,user,noauto		0	0

What does "fdisk -l /dev/hda3" say?  I'm assuming you've been booting
off this already, so that simple lilo configuration program must be
sucking.  Just handroll your own lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo.
Something like:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda3
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
compact
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux-X.X.X.

Admittedly, been using GRUB for a while now, so I'm rusty on lilo.conf.
You might need some LBA mode or some such as well...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>