lilo & fstab

All,

I'm still trying to find my way through my boot / lilo / lilo vs. grub
problems. Have put grub on the backburner for a moment in favor of a step
by step effort to understand what's going on.

When I attempt to install lilo on my system now, I get the following
error:

LILO, the LInux LOader, sets up your system to boot Linux directly
from your hard disk, without the need for a boot floppy.

WARNING!
Your /etc/fstab configuration file gives device /dev/hda3 as the root
filesystem device. This doesn't look to me like an "ordinary" block
device. Either your fstab is broken and you should fix it, or you are
using hardware (such as a RAID array) which this simple configuration
program does not handle.

You should either repair the situation or hand-roll your own
/etc/lilo.conf configuration file; you can then run /usr/sbin/liloconfig
again to retry the configuration process.
Documentation for LILO can be found in /usr/share/doc/lilo/.

My question is, what is wrong with the following /etc/fstab file? I
==haven't touched it==, ever. Why is lilo suddenly complaining, and what
in the following setup implies that /dev/hda3 is -not- a valid block
device? Or is that determination coming from elsewhere?

#
/dev/hda3	/		ext2	defaults,errors=remount-ro	0	1
/dev/hda2	none		swap	sw			0	0
proc		/proc		proc	defaults			0	0
/dev/fd0	/floppy		auto	defaults,user,noauto		0	0
/dev/cdrom	/cdrom		iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0	0
/dev/cdrom2	/cdrom2		iso9660 defaults,rw,user,noauto		0	0

Thanks,

Glenn Becker

http://www.burningclown.com
"Everyone's Portal to Nothing At All"