Re: exim and fetchmail

I'll try to point this out by assuming your username on the pop3 server and
on your local machine is "jason". The hostname of your local one seems to be
"magneto.whizzird.net".

If you tell fetchmail in .fetchmailrc "poll mail.whizzird.net user jason
password secret" it will fetch the mail from the pop3 server and forwards it
to your local exim with the *unqualified* email address "jason" (i.e. without
domain suffix).

As you configured exim in the "qualify_domain" statement to qualify
unqualified addresses with the domain "whizzird.net" it does so and changes
the address to jason@whizzird.net. Now your exim feels no longer responsable
for this mail because this domain is not in its list of "local_domains". It
queries DNS, looks up the MX for this domain and SMTPs the mail back to your
mail server (which then feels responsable for this address, of course).

You could either inform your local exim to care about mails to the domain
whizzird.net by adding it to local_domains but in my opinion this is a bit
of an unclean solution. (maybe not?)

You should better tell fetchmail to forward the mail to you at your local
host. This is done by giving an "is jason@localhost" after the
"password"-statement in .fetchmailrc. localhost is in fact in the list of
local_domains so your exim will deliver the mail to your local mailbox where
you can read it with mutt.

	Tobias