Re: Jumpstart install of debian?

Andrew D Dixon <andrew.dixon@seranoa.com> writes:

> Another solution would be to use cpio to make an archive of the file
> system and then expand this out onto a clean machine.  I recently did
> this and found it to be relatively painless.  I did only use one large
> partition (well two but I'm not counting the swap ;).  On the machine
> you want to mirror run:

The problem  with this is  that, on any  serious network with  lots of
boxes, you will want different configs on different boxes. So you want
a scripted  solution that does  a NIS lookup  and says "oh, this  is a
fileserver" or  "oh, this is  a desktop workstation" and  performs the
relevant  install. Hopefully this  FAI thing  will pull  through. And,
with any luck, I can eventually brainwash my department to switch from
redhat to  debian. (Lots of problems  with redhat, for  the record. Not
sure how much  better debian would be, but  at least debian truthfully
advertises  their releases  as "unstable",  rather than  the ambiguous
"7.1 (Seawolf)".)

-chris