Re: Compile vs. Apt-get(was woody+php+php-nuke)

"techlists" <techlists@techgod.net> writes:

> I had originally had Debian (stable) set up with php4 and a site done with
> php-nuke.
> I started working on a new project that, because of certain requirenments,
> was better suited for woody.  So, I upgraded.  During the upgrade, it
> un-installed php4.  After the upgrade, I went into dselect to add php4 back
> in.  When I try, it complains that it needs a version of apache lower than
> the one in woody, and won't install. I then installed php3, but have not
> been able to get the site back up, because the php3-mysql module will not
> talk to mysql.  So I considered just compiling in php4 manually.  Which I do
> not want to do if that would mess up apt/dselect.

What you want to do is get the debianized source and compile it to a
.deb, then install the .deb.

Add to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

 deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

After doing an apt-get update, you can now do

  apt-get source php4
  cd php4-x.xx
  debuild binary

You now have a .deb that you can install with dpkg -i, and that will be
treated just like any other Debian package.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! Let's all show human
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | CONCERN for REVEREND MOON's