Re: xdm and gdm

Hi Joseph,

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 07:49:46PM +0530, Joseph wrote:
> Hi,
>       I have been using xdm as my display manager recently on Debian
> Potato 2.2. I would like to replace it by gdm. For this I have the
> following queries :-
> 1) Recently I read in this mailing list that to use gdm I have to remove
> xdm. Cannot both of them coexist? i.e. both of them are installed. If
> yes then what precautions do I have to take?

I wouldn't know why you want them both to coexist. Do you want to login
twice? ;-)

> 2) From where can I obtain .deb packages of gdm?

With apt-get. Are you familiar with apt-get? If you are, and you have
sources.list correctly configured in /etc/apt then you just login as
root and type: apt-get install gdm

> 3) Where Can I find good documentation about gdm? What I am looking for
> is installation, configuration and maintance.

I would start by installing gdm with apt-get, and then look at the
manual of gdm, by typing: man gdm
In this manual you may find references to other documents on the web.

>         I have some experience in linux/unix field. So if the answers are
> a little technical in nature are also welcome.

Oh well, if you said that at the beginning of your mail... ;-)