Re: getting ps to not display all processes for normal users

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 09:52:55PM -0400, Vlad wrote:
> already done. www.openwall.com and download a kernel patch. i would say, it is the FIRST thing security-wise you have
> to do after you install any linux distro.

Why would you say that?  Do you really consider knowledge of other users'
processes to be the biggest security threat on a *nix system?

It seems pretty harmless to me, given that `ls /bin` will tell me what's
installed on a system and `nmap localhost` will tell me what ports
are listening.  About the only extra information that I can think of
that would be revealed by `ps a` and would be potentially exploitable is
which programs that use unix domain sockets or named pipes are running -
and even that could be derived with `find` or any other sort of recursive
directory search.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+