Re: getting ps to not display all processes for normal users

Am 29. May, 2001 schwäzte Vlad so:

> > If you're looking for a way to globally disable the 'a' option, so that
> > your users aren't allowed to see each other's processes, you'll probably
> > have to hack the source.
>
> already done. www.openwall.com and download a kernel patch. i would say,
> it is the FIRST thing security-wise you have to do after you install any
> linux distro.

By no means! Most boxen don't need this security feature and it gets in the
way.

Boxen that allow "foreign access", e.g. an ISP shell account server, though,
should probably get it.

Interesting site. Thanks for pointing it out :). Good to know ps and top
behave properly when the patch is applied.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
# ... make it clear I support "Free Software" and not "Open Source",