Re: sendmail

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Mike Pfleger wrote:

> I am trying to use the userdb functionality of sendmail.  I am currently
> running sendmail from testing, with a 2.4.4 kernel.  I have tried to
> make sendmail rewrite the userid of my outgoing mail, by modifying:
> 	/usr/share/sendmail.cf/ostype/debian.m4
> and
> 	/etc/mail/sendmail.mc
> although, I suspect that the .mc file is modified by the contents of the
> .m4 files.

Gack...  spend more time in the `bat` book...  Don't touch anything in
/usr/share/sendmail...

1) Add this to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
   define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb')dnl

2) `makemap btree /etc/mail/userdb < /etc/mail/userdb`

3) `sendmailconfig`

4) `/etc/init.d/sendmail reload`

> The O'Reilly book specifies setting up a file, ie:
> 	/etc/mail/userdb
> -which in turn contains "key<tab>value" entries such as:
> 	bob:mailname		BobTheDuck@hostname.wherever.com
> 	BobTheDuck:maildrop	bob
> (with apologies to Eric Allman and Bryan Costales)
> -and then making this into a database with the makemap command.

Format looks ok..

> Is anyone doing this with sendmail 8.11.x?  If so, could someone please
> enlighten me as to why my mods to the above files had no effect?

Can't tell without know what your mods were !  Also, if you're using
masquerading/genericstable, that impacts userdb support...

If you're doing new work, I'd suggest moving from userdb to
genericstable - has much more flexability.

--
Rick Nelson
I forgot to mention an important fact in the 1.3.67 announcement. In order to