Bootable CD image

I created a Potato 2.2.rev3 Image yesterday and was trying to create a bootable CD with it.  When reading up on creating this bootable CD all
literature mentions using dd to copy a bootable floppy to the image directory before running mkisofs.  I was trying to use file from the debian installation
instructions.  I downloaded the rescue288.bin and tryed using it but the image failed.  Do I also need the "linux" file which is the kernel.  The information
indicated that the "linux" kernel was only needed for booting off floppies and that the rescue288.bin would be all that I needed to create a bootable CD.
I have my image in /image
I created a boot subdirectory to put the files I need to boot with /image/boot

What files do I need to put into the /image/boot directory?

and/or

Where do I find more information on creating a bootable CD with debian without having to use dd and a floppy.  It seems like redundent work if I can
download the files from the debian site without creating a floppy.  Speaking of redundency, I am sure this has been answered before but I did a search
on google and on debianhelp but did not come up with anything.

Lance