Re: root via ssh / why su - ?

hi brian

yes ...

if one is forced, by ones forgetfullyness or really good
passwds... i'd write it down and ENCRYPT that file...
the assumption is you never forget the passwd or the pass phrase
on the ONE machine... and keep a copy of it on another machine
so that if you lose the disk/file...you have it store elsewhere
in encrypted form...

problem now is... if they get your pass phrase ....
they have root passwds to all your servers.... really really bad....
and its sorta obvious that encrypted files are important files

and i disallow root ssh logins...  and i dont allow ssh connections
without entering a passwd ... ( there other ways to get the same
effect for scripts .... and there better NOT be any passwd in the
scripts either... audit those scripts that your users did ...

even if you forget root passwd ...you can always hit ctrl-alt-del and
boot into single user mode... though thats another issue of
where to allow it or not...and whether single user should be pwd
protected or not...  endless precautions...

c ya
alvin