Re: Rage128 and DRI

Charles Lewis wrote:

> I've tried and tried, but I can't get DRI to work for my Rage128 AGP card.
>
> My kernel (2.4.4) has been enabled with:
>  /dev/agpart
>    VIA chipset support (I have Abit KT7A-Raid, KT133 chipset)
>  Direct Rendering Manager
>    ATI Rage 128
>
> The relevant portions of XF86Config-4:
> Section "Module"
>      Load "GLcore"
>      Load "dri"
> Section "Device"
>      Driver "ati"
> Section "DRI"
>      Mode 0666
>
> Snippets from the log (a few warnings but no errors):
> (II) LoadModule: "dri"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
> (II) Module dri: vendor="The Xfree86 Project"
>         compiled for 4.0.3, module version = 1.0.0
>         ABI class: Xfree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
> (II) Loading extension Xfree86-DRI
> (II) R128(0): Using Xfree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
> (II) R128(0): Acceleration enabled
> (II) R128(0): Direct rendering disabled

To get  Direct  rendering enabled i had to install a new r128 driver and a
new XFree86 binary. You get these from the rage128 and Extras files at:
ftp://dri.sourceforge.net/pub/dri/release

Both these tar balls unpack into a directory called dripkg. Then just
follow the install. Also , in XF86Config-4 change driver 'ati' to  'r128'
Then startx and you should get 'Direct rendering enabled'.

Once you get that far ,  if you have the latest KDE installed you can enjoy
the beauty of anti-aliased fonts. Once you see them you won't go back to
ugly fonts.