RE: web management question

I have a similar set-up at my school, except it's for staff not students...

Make sure the following line in uncommented in /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
        LoadModule userdir_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_userdir.so

That causes Apache to look at a directory under the users home dir named
public_html.  The users web address will be http://www.server.com/~user.
Here is a link to the mod_userdir page on Apache's site
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_userdir.html.

For the remote access, we also use ProFTPd.  Add a line in /etc/proftpd.conf
that reads;
    DefaultRoot             /home/user/public_html             user

That will restrict the users access to only their public_html directory (and
directories below it that they create).  They will not be able to cd above
their public_html directory.

I go one additional step and change the users shell to /bin/ftp_only.  That
allows them to ftp files and pop their mail, but not telnet or SSH to the
server.

Hope that helps.

Steve Barr
Technology Coordinator